Friday, February 3, 2012

"Round Here, We Stay Up Very Very Late"

Today as I was heating up my chicken, calabacitas, and brown rice for dinner, and dreading eating it, it was a moment of can I do this for the next 11 months?

It's only been a month and I'm already bored with my food. Wah!!! I roll out to the lobby as my business partner snacks on a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup and I want nothing more to grab a package off of our concession stand and eat one myself. But I don't. I worked too hard in Body Pump today to ruin it with a delicious chocolate and peanut butter treat. I sadly eat my dinner, which is pretty much the same every single night as it is the only thing so far I know how to cook. I'm totally bumming out.

Then, as I scroll facebook, I notice a friend has posted a music video of Regina Spector, which makes me remember a music video of hers that I like. I go to YouTube and pull it up. Then I remember another video, and another, and another. I find myself singing along and having a good time by my lonesome. I forget all about the chicken and the peanut butter cup and realize that 1. things could be a LOT worse that eating the same meal every night and 2. Ke$ha's music video for Blow is pretty freakin' hilarious.... also that music can help push other emotions to the surface.

It's one of the things that I enjoy most at eVolv, the music selection. Always fun and current and it wills you to move forward and to not stop. I appreciate the push.

When I'm especially sad there is nothing that pushes better than listening to my favorite band, Counting Crows. Listening to sad, soulful Adam Duritz sing about his melancholy in August and Everything After lets me dwell in mine for a few hours, and then we get to This Desert Life and by Mrs. Potter's Lullaby I'm a much happier camper.

Tomorrow, I walk 3 miles on the treadmill in an attempt to get under 60 minutes... here's hoping. I'm sure with the right music pulsing through the headphones I might be able to actually make it happen.

Here's to moving forward my friends. Put an album on that you love and rock out today, or take a moment to breathe, which ever you need.

All the love,
Kristin

2 comments:

Ruthie said...

You are awesome. And I miss you. And I think it's fantastic what you are doing.

jannamin said...

I can send you the recipe pages from the companion to the Ultra Simple Diet. There is absolutely no reason to eat boring food! I can bring you some fresh herbs from our garden to spice up your chicken - a little lemon juice, some garlic, rosemary and thyme with a bit of olive oil makes a great marinade for a boring chicken breast. I have thyme, oregano, winter savory and lots of rosemary in the garden right now. Just let me know.