Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Wakey Wakey, Eggs and Bac-y!

I am NOT a morning person.

I know this theme has been explored before, but it is being explored again because I can't seem to break this routine in my life.

As a kid I would stay up all night reading. I would pretend to be asleep when my mom got up in the middle of the night to check on me. Apparently I sucked at fake sleeping, cause more times than not she would catch me in my silly lie. And of course it was hard to get up in the morning.

High school was no different. Up late doing homework after rehearsal got out... also, so I could watch Late Night with Conan O'Brien. He's the best. So funny. Stupid Jay Leno. Anyway... also hard to get up in the morning.

In college I was SO VERY EXCITED to get to choose my own schedule. I picked classes that started at 10:00 am so I wouldn't have to get up early in the morning. But even then there were times that I would sleep through my alarm and not make it in to my late morning class because I'd been up all night studying, watching TV, hanging out at the computer lab (later, working at the computer lab which closed at 3:00 am), and thinking up the next best creative ideas with my very amazing college friends.

Now, I'm a grown up... about to be 31 and I'm still having trouble getting in to a routine where I get up before 8:00 am so I can start the day. I've just never been a morning person. About 1:00 in the afternoon I start getting into my groove. I start having some energy, and by the time most everybody else is sleeping, my creative juices are flowing with ideas. The trouble with this... no one is awake to hear them. And sometimes, because the idea occurred at 2:00 in the morning, it maybe wasn't the best idea.

I have tried many things. Setting multiple alarms. Setting alarms on opposite sides of the room. Changing the tone of the alarm. Going to bed early. Drinking tea. Mornings just aren't for me.

Unfortunately for me, mornings are for just about everybody else. And since I like to be around people and get things done I've got to figure out how to be out and about in the morning. Any advice from any of my fellow non-morning people?

I guess I should also hit the hay, so I can make it to the gym in the morning.

All the love,
Kristin

No comments: