Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Entree Attachment

Today, was not an easy day. I was lucky because Wilton gave me a pass on working out so that I could go cook food with Jenny. It was going to be my first day going totally drive thru free. I think it's safe to say that anyone that knows me knows that I eat out for pretty much every meal. Cooking has never been something I've  been good at and the thought of having to prepare all of my meals and snacks was a little scary. So was the thought of having to eat 5 times a day.

This morning I was supposed to eat oatmeal, yogurt, and an apple.
Apple not pictured as I had already eaten it's apple-y goodness.

\I made it through the apple and the yogurt before I felt myself being pretty full. Hey, I'd eaten pretty late the night before, so I saved my oatmeal for another morning.

Next I was supposed to eat a snack of carrots and peanut butter. Still wasn't hungry at all. I know that in order to kickstart my metabolism I'm going to have to eat more often, but I just wasn't hungry.

Lunch time comes up and I've got my turkey burger ready to go. Just need to heat it up in the microwave. In a hilarious (yet frightening moment) I put the burger in for too long and it shrinks into the smallest, hardest round most inedible thing I've ever seen. Luckily I work with Jenny and take her what was formerly my lunch and show her I now have no protein for lunch. She of course saves the day with some tuna she has in her lunch. With some whole wheat bread secured from Hello, Deli around the corner I've got a delish sandwich on my hands.

Tuna, string cheese, whole wheat bread, and steamed veggies.

As we get closer to five I can't imagine eating more food. I can tell my stomach is mad at me for making it process the food. It's been so used to eating food that has been pre-processed it doesn't know what to do with all the fiber I've been consuming in one day.

Overall, I'm feeling yucky and tired and even more overwhelmed than I had been before. I go into Jenny's office to discuss what time we're meeting for cooking lessons and I just start to cry. I sincerely was trying so hard to not have a breakdown this early on in the game, but I think with trying to change my diet and change apartments and everything else just kind of hit me all in one moment. Plus, with the earlier turkey burger fiasco, who wouldn't shed a tear? Jenny and I talked and I ended up feeling better, but still scared about working all of these things into my life. How in the world were we going to cook dinners for me for a whole week?

Well, let me just say it was actually pretty easy. I would definitely recommend finding someone else who already does it to help you with your first cooking. It was so helpful, especially for a novice like me. And it was a bonus that Jenny and Brian (her wonderful husband) cooked us dinner while all of my dinners were cooking.

Half of my yummy Quinoa Pasta Primavera.

After getting everything packaged and bagged it felt so much more manageable. I felt like I had some control over something again. It was ready and all I have to do now is pop my food in the microwave for 30 seconds. That is way faster than any old drive thru. I'm feeling so much better than I did this morning. I'm hopeful of everything else that is to come. Following are pictures of me cooking and all my dinners lined up for the week.

All my love,
Kristin










2 comments:

QuiteaCommonFairy said...

I wish I could be there to help you cook - I love it. It's a nice Zen, relaxing, meditative activity for me. Sometimes I need to just shut my brain off - you know? Love you and SO PROUD of what you're doing. The first steps are always the hardest so breakdowns at the beginning are totally OK. It will get easier. This too shall pass. <3

Lindsey said...

Good job kiki Its already such a big accomplishment getting you in the kitchen! Now you can make me dinner sometime : )